Cupsogue sounds like a weird name to someone unfamiliar with Long Island. It turns out many of the towns and hamlets have Native American references to their history. Dated from the 1690s, the Native American word Cupsogue means “a closed inlet”. The park’s land was entirely part of Fire Island until a 1931 Nor’easter created the Moriches Inlet, which enlarged between 1933 and 1938. The park was acquired by the Suffolk County Parks Department in the 1950s, and by the 1970s Cupsogue Beach County Park was given a pavilion and boardwalk. A breach connecting the Atlantic Ocean and Great South Bay occurred on the east end of the park as a result of high tides during Hurricane Sandy in 2012. The breach widened from 150 feet (46 m) to 300 feet (91 m) less than a week later when a Nor’easter hit. Officials closed the breach with a $6 million project that pumped in 200,000 cubic yards (150,000 m3) of sand.